Monday, June 16, 2008

As I write this first entry I am sitting in my room at 1024 University in Schenectady where I have just spent the greatest year of my life so far. My four years at Union College were incredible and I feel like my heart hurts when I think about leaving. My room is half packed up and I keep taking breaks to say goodbye to more and more of my friends and classmates.

Graduation yesterday was totally surreal, and I would say bittersweet although I feel like it is much more bitter than sweet. It came after senior week… the best week out of the best year to date. I love this school so much (here come the tears…). I know that I won’t lose touch with my friends but it’s everything else that I’ll miss. I’ve loved being a part of the Union community. I love the campus and I even love Schenectady.

Classes, spending hours in Reamer, laying in the gardens, sitting on our porch, getting to know professors, Bombers trivia, seeing the sun set behind the Nott, Springfest, socializing at Chets, library seshes, sleepovers, University Place, getting ready, Peter Pause on Thursdays, senior camaraderie, parties, formals, getting Looney, going on adventures to Saratoga, Lake George, Plotter Kill, being super busy, doing absolutely nothing… I’ll miss it all.

Knowing that I’ll be in Benin serving in the Peace Corps in just two weeks is scary, but I’m so glad that I’m starting right away… I can’t dwell in the sadness of leaving Union for much longer. I’m looking forward to Africa with excitement, anticipation and also a bit of anxiety. I’m ready for the adventure of a lifetime, so here’s to last four years and the next two and a half!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE LOVE that picture of us at my high school graduation. I have it frammmeed :)

love,
Hannah